Monday, March 31, 2014

Book Challenge Update #3

I am two books ahead of schedule so far and I have read some good books this past month.


Switched (Trylle #1) by Amanda Hocking  • GoodReads Amazon

I really enjoyed this book. I heard about it from a friend who said it was about trolls and I knew I had to read it, but it is not what you expect when you think trolls. The beauty in this book is not what I expected and the mini-series at the end made we ant to read a whole story from that P.O.V. I just need to get off my hiney and download book 2.
♥♥♥1/2 out of 5

The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking by Kate Payne   • GoodReads Amazon

I was hoping this could help with decorating, gardening and general homemaking, but it just seemed preachy to me. Now I will say some of the advice was good but it is mainly for people in bigger cities, living in apartments not people like me who are in a small town with lots of yard and space between neighbors living in a house. When I was in college living with my parents I had the cinder block book shelf but living 'on my own' with my husband I do not think that would work too well. I also understand the importance of going green but Kate is  shoving it down your throat in this book. I get that chemicals are bad, and that cooking things from scratch are healthier for you, but not everyone has the time or energy to do so. I work 45 minutes away from my house which I know is not the longest some people have to commute but with a husband who does not eat lunch (unwinnable battle trust me I have tried) by the time we get home at almost 6 he is starving and does not want to wait for me to make everything from scratch. I will on the weekends make homemade lasagna, or other meals that require lots of time to prepare and that is usually the most delicious meal but on weekdays we (HE) wants quick easy meals. The saving grace of this book was the last chapter, she talks about having get-togethers and how we should continue to learn and grow which is something I believe in. 
♥♥ out of 5
  
Stone of Tears By Terry Goodkind   • GoodReads Amazon

I am so glad I picked this series up. The new characters introduced in this book were incredible. I felt Richard's hate for some of them. Grach is one of my favorite parts of the whole book, and Scarlet too. I love how he shows his compassion by the way he treats animals and is a protector for them. I thought for sure i was going to be angry at the end of the book but it turned around into a happy ending that makes me want more. 
♥♥♥♥♥ out of 5

Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind   • GoodReads Amazon

Oh my goodness so many feels! I was on the edge of my seat, I was fearful for the characters, I literally laughed out loud, and just so many feels. The mord-sith and Grach are becoming my favorites. Zed still cracks my up though. Kahlan is such a beast, she is amazing in her talents. I wish I could read the prophesies they talk about, but that may ruin the books for me. I am so ready to jump into the next book. 

♥♥♥♥♥ out of 5 

Work Hard. Be Nice. by Jay Mathews    • Good ReadsAmazon

This book is about the KIPP schools and the two teachers that made it happen. It was an okay book, to me it seemed to jump around a bit. It would talk about what was happening in 2004 and in the next chapter discussing the weeks the guys were signing up for Teach for America in 1992. I was impressed by what the guys were able to accomplish and how well the schools are doing but the book could not hold my interest, I forced myself to finish it. I think I was able to get a few good tips for when I become a teacher but all in all just an EH kind of book about a really impressive set of guys and what they built. 

♥♥ out of 5 


What are you guys reading right now?

Previous challenge update posts: January - February

No comments:

Post a Comment