Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What Would You Fund?


Here's this week's prompt from Sometimes Sweet

If you had unlimited resources, what political or social issue, or area of scientific or medical exploration would you fund? Do you have a cause that is dear and near to your heart that you'd put your time, energy, and money into if you had the means? Tell us about it, along with a bit of background explaining where you're coming from.

I have been thinking about this since Monday when it was posted and my first thought was education. As you know I am trying to become a teacher and I see some of the flaws in the system, especially when it comes to special education. But I am not sure what section I would want to put all of my time and money into since all aspects of education are important.

I am part of a group who are going to build a playground for special needs children, and I am so happy to be apart of it but there are more things in that school that need help besides the playground (which I find to be incredible and a great addition to the school). It is hard for me to choose just one area. I want the schools to have better textbooks, teachers who are dedicated and not just there for the paycheck and the summer break, I want the students to be excited to be at school and enjoy learning, I want the special needs students to be able to graduate and have a plan in mind for their life and not just live at home or in an assisted living environment (due to specific needs), I want to keep the arts in the schools, I want students to learn foreign languages and for it to be sustainable,  I want the lunches to be healthy, I want classes to teach students about life in the real world (taxes, checking, bill pay, loans, etc), I want teachers to teach more than just the tests,  and so much more.

With so many issues in the world of education I do not know where to begin. Many of my teachers in high school who I still have contact with have told me not to teach because of the politics of it. I have heard that I cannot get a teaching job at some schools unless I know someone because of the politics in those schools and I think that is crazy! I feel that if you are qualified and have a desire to educate, then not growing up in that district should have no barring on your interview. Some problems cannot be fixed with money or time.

With all of that being said I  would still try to work on the education system since it is what will make our country a better place and with the right teachers we can fix many more problems. Science teachers with a love of the planet can help in many ways, math teachers can teach students how to handle money to avoid debt, history teachers with a passion for learning from the past, reading teachers to help us become more intellectual and enjoy education, foreign language teachers teach love of travel and importance of language. All areas of education can teach you more about the world than the students give them credit for but with the right motivation and teachers we can turn our nation into a great intellectual powerhouse.

Sorry for the ramble but that is how I journal.

Oh and also shark preservation! But education helps with this - teach understanding not fear!

What would you like to fix in the world?



Week 3 - Hindsight
Week 2 - Song Feelings
Week 1 - Crossroads

No comments:

Post a Comment