Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Questions about religion

*These are my real questions! They are not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, I really want to know the answers! I will not be offended by any answers, and will give honest feedback. I truly want to learn more on this subject*

So I know there are many religious bloggers out there and I am a little jealous of that. I wish I was that devoted to something like that. I am a spiritual person, I feel I do the right thing most of the time, I don't drink, I have never done drugs, and I don't break the 10 commandments but I have so many questions about religion that I cannot be truly and wholly devoted to something I have questions about. I was raised Southern Baptist(I don't know the difference but that's what people at my church always said "southern Baptist") and it was ok I really enjoyed spending time with the youth group but I got bored in church! I am very interested in religion, in all religions. I want to know more about them. I know that I will get comments on this but...

How do you know the religion you believe in is the right one? When I ask this question I get the same answer "faith". I get that being raised on something makes you believe it; like Santa if you raise your kids saying Santa is real, then they will believe it until you tell them otherwise (or they learn from older kids). Now I am not saying Santa is Jesus/Buddha/Allah/etc. equivalent but I am saying that just because your family raised you one way doesn't mean it is right (not that religion isn't right). 
I really hope I am making sense right now.

Okay so another thing I may get comments about is...
The Greek Gods, I understand where the Greeks were coming from with their gods. They had things happen in the world around them and didn't know how to explain them so they had the gods. I understand that logic. But the thing that I really like about it is the lineage. The question I have always had in church as a child was who was God's father, we know that Jesus was born of Mary and Joseph and was God's child, but who is the Grandpa or God's dad. When learning about creation I was always told something cannot come from nothing that is why the big bang isn't possible, so using that logic is where my question came from. I was always told it was faith. I got tired of all of my questions having the same answer, I wanted a real answer. 

IF something cannot be made from nothing how did God make Earth
WHO is God's father
WILL our current religions be told as fictional stories (like the Greeks) in the future
HOW did you know what religion to choose
HOW do we know what was written was meant to be turned into a religion instead of a philosophy 

Those are just a few question that I have had that have never been answered. Like I said I was raised baptist but I have been the Catholic churches and they are a spectical and not in a bad way. It is completely different going to a catholic and baptist churches, baptists are usually less structures in the churches I have been to and when I went to the catholic churches I felt that I was in a club and did know the secret hand shake. (Again this is just my experience in the few catholic churches I have been to) Catholics have rituals that baptists don't like when the preacher Father says 'Bless you' the whole church goes 'And with you'. This completely threw me off when it happened the first time, because I was not warned this would happen, I felt like I didn't have the script. In baptist churches the preacher preaches, the choir sings, the congregation opens up the hymns and sings, the preacher preaches some more and church is let out with the choir singing. (yes I left bits out but that is the just of it) So going into this Catholic church I was expecting about the same, but it wasn't and it was nice. I like to ritual of it all. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Catholics and Baptist belief the same core stuff virgin birth; miracles; atonement for sins through the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus; the Trinity. But Catholics are (I don't know how to say this so bare with me) more hardcore, like with the rituals, Lent, and Christenings. 

What I don't get is why the difference? Why are there multiple religions that all use the same book? I mean all Christians(Baptists, Catholics, Pentecostals Etc) use the whole bible, Mormons recognize the Bible but use the Book of Mormon(am I right on this), Judaism uses the Old Testament, and Muslims recognize it as an old version. (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong I want to know) 

**Edit**
I realise some may not want to answer in the comments so if you do feel like making a response you can email me at jesslynnsteele (at) gmail (dot) com


bocboc

I am sorry this is so long winded but sometimes you just have to let all of your crazy out so it is easier to sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment