Monday, May 12, 2014

Respect *CAUTION RANT AHEAD*

After having a wonder Mother's Day weekend with my 2 step-mom's I have decided many people do not understand how to respect others and how to earn respect.  I am blessed to have two wonderful step-mothers (one married to my birth-dad and the other my ex-step-dad) and without them I would not be the person I am today. They have taught me about not dwelling on the past, how to be a happier person, and how to be a successful adult.I owe my eternal thanks and gratitude to them and they deserve the utmost respect.

Now for the  rant I warned you about:

I feel that respect is a two-way street and that it should be earned not just handed over. I have people in my life and have seen it elsewhere, that demand respect but give none out. If you need a call or a visit on your birthday, anniversary, Mother's Day, Father's Day, or any other day you deem necessary than you better return that favor. If you can only muster a generic text message for me, why do you feel that you deserve more?  Don't get me wrong I do not mind get a text telling my happy whatever, and I grateful for it. But if you say it is rude and disrespectful to do so than don't do it to me and not expect it in return.

I also feel that public shaming is not a good way to try and earn that respect that you are demanding. (I get that it may seem like I am being a hypocrite writing this post but this is not about one specific person, this is just things that I have seen and experienced with many people not just one.) If you spend any time on Facebook at all than you know what I am talking about. People doing the brag/put-down like "my wonder son A got me this for my birthday, waiting on son B to call at least"  or the "so jealous of all the mothers day posts I wish my kids were as thoughtful" but people do it with everything! Let me brag about this trip and then write to someone about how you wish they were there when you never invited them, or worse the people who look at your pictures and ask where their invite was. If you were not invited there was a reason, and if someone rubs it in your face that you were not invited do you really want to be their friend?

I usually try to go above and beyond for the people I care about. I cannot always do so, because money is a thing, but I try. Once I see that my hard work is not appreciated or even ridiculed than why should I try to impress you anymore? I am so happy that you can make others feel guilty for not living up to your ridiculous standards and doing what ever you demand of them, despite their own wishes, but I am not one of them. I will not cower away from my stand on something because you say so. If I do not like to do something that you enjoy, I will not do it just because you want me to. Oh you like to do marathons, spend every waking moment at church/gym, hurt puppies, ride unicorns whatever. Well I don't so you have fun we can do something else that we both enjoy. Don't make me feel bad for not wanting to do those things. Don't ignore me because I went against your wishes on something that is 100% my decision and none of yours.

I know this post is all over the place but I hate going on to social media and seeing people intentionally put people down, try to make them feel guilty or are just rude. Why can't you use the outlet to spread joy. I rarely post on facebook and when I do it is about sharing a great experience with great people. Heck I mainly post news articles that make me happy, like the dives in Australia saving the reef shark.

OK I am going to stop here I can seriously go on all day long on this but I want to get this negativity away from me so I can get back in a good space and have a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment